Okay - so I'm such a slacker. I truly have been inspired many more times to write about tasty wines I'm drinking, but, well - I've been slacking.
Yesterday I decided to open my 2005 Riesling Kabinett from Muller-Catoir - arguably the best producer in the Pfalz region of Germany. Pfalz is essentially an extension of Alsace, France to the North. The Vosges mountains of France become the Haardt mountains of Germany- the lovely formation that protects the land from the angry cold storms from the west - aka rain shadow. This region is the warmest region in Germany.
The color was still brilliant after 3.5 years in the bottle. Lemon with tinges of green. Juicy aromas of lime juice, pineapple, ripe white peach and lime rind. Rich mineral notes of wet stones, broken slate. The flavors on the palate echoed the aromas, and the finish just lasted and lasted. The texture of the riesling was round and lucious, the acidity was fresh, not prickley or searing like we get in the Mosel sometimes, but round, balanced. Exquisite.
I made this wine last as long as I possibly could last night. Normally it's so easy to pound these in the warmer months, especially when the alcohol is so low! But I savored this wine - for four hours at least. With it I enjoyed a romaine salad with celery, radishes, yellow apple, green onion lightly dressed in a vinaigrette of peanut oil, lime juice, red pepper, ginger and onion.
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment