Saturday, November 1, 2008

1993 J. Schram - Schramsberg Vineyards - Calistoga, CA

Here is a letter I wrote to Hugh Davies of Schramsberg after I enjoyed the 1993 J. Schram on Halloween.


"Good afternoon, Hugh,

I met you at the Bacchus Warehouse tasting in Baltimore, MD earlier this year. I had told you that my husband and I had honeymooned just across the street from Schramsberg in August of '07...I know you meet so many people - so I don't expect you to remember me!

I just have to tell you - I was so moved by this wine that I called and left a voice mail on the Schramsberg collective general voice mailbox yesterday evening when I left the party where I had this wine - I was so struck by its beauty.

So, I bought the 1993 J Schram at a little wine shop in Cincinnati OH - it was on clearance and it was stored right by the entrance - in full view of any light that would come into that front door.

I bought it and didn't expect much - I wasn't sure how it had been stored earlier in its life - and the fact that it was on clearance made it an attractive purchase - however I wouldn't have been surprised if I was disappointed when I finally opened it.

Well, that moment was yesterday. I brought it to a Halloween party - and how sad I am that I wasn't alone with my husband having a lovely quiche (I love bubbles with quiche!) on a Sunday afternoon. The aromas that came barrelling out of the glass included gorgeous honeyed orange blossom and a toasted crunchy - almost an almond -flavored - brioche. The mousse was still nicely aggressive. I was enamoured with this wine and decided to go sit in a corner for a few minutes and enjoy the beauty of it - even though it was in a plastic cup.

I should have bought more. I think she had 3 or 4 bottles on the clearance rack.

So - I'm writing this to thank you and everyone at Schramsberg for making such an amazing wine.

Cheers!"


I think it's important to tell people when they do a great job - even though they're Schramsberg - and they probably already know it. If you can get your hands on this wine - enjoy it. "Spectacular" doesn't do it justice.


FYI - we have the Blancs de Blancs half-bottle on the menu at Ranazul. It isn't J. Schram - but it's delicious nonetheless!

No comments: