Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ratings, scores...yawn...

Okay, so the only reason I bring this up is because it came up one evening at RANAZUL. One of our guests sent back a wine because the vintage on the menu was the "well-rated" one and the bottle that came from the cellar was one year later than the "well-rated" vintage he asked for. I apologized for the mistake on the menu - then I tried to assure him the 2004 was just as delicious as the 2003, he replied with something like "I just want a 90+ wine for $60 or less."



Ahh yes...the obsession with ratings. Will it ever end? WINE...is...SUBJECTIVE. Not that my poo-pooing ratings is right and others' obsessions with ratings is wrong - I just wish there was less stress about scores. Yes, a high score helps to sell a wine - got it. But there is PLENTY of excellent wine out there that for whatever reason received a poor score - or NO score - from Mr. Parker or the Spectator. One has to wonder - how much of a score is politics - how much of a score is truly a reflection of the wine?



All I'm asking is this...PLEASE don't let what someone ELSE thinks of a wine dictate how you shop, that's all. Decide what you like. Determine for yourself what you like - and for goodness sake, try something different! You might be surprised!

Okay, I'll step off.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clink! I totally agree! Isn't that what the experience is all about? To me, the experts tend to be a little greasy anyway!

AR

TCATIM said...

Hurray for Julie. Wine ratings are only as good as the subjective patale from which they came, which very easily may not be your taste. I'd rather try it and decide for myself. Go Jules!