Okay - so, really. The first time I heard of pairing Foie Gras with a Sauternes-style wine, I thought "goodNESS - isn't that sensory overload?" but...guess what? It's a "mouth orgasm" to quote my friend who suggested I start up this blog.
New to our dinner menu for about three weeks now, we have a lovely tapas-sized piece of foie gras, quickly sauteed and served over richly carmelized onions, a wine reduction and crunchy buttered toast points.
Also, new to our wine menu is the Beaumont Goutte d'Or late harvest Semillon / Sauvignon Blanc blend. Once we had the foie on the menu, I knew I had to start pouring a Sauternes-style wine by the glass.
Okay, so no secrets here, but foie gras is pretty fatty. Decadent and rich might be a nicer way to put it. But what's great about Sauternes-style wine is the acidity that the Sauvignon Blanc does to the sweetness of the Semillon. The Sauvignon Blanc, despite it being harvested late, keeps the sweet from being too sweet - and it actually acts as a palate cleanser for the foie. What happens is that each bite of the foie tastes as fresh as the first.
The key here to this pairing is to match weights. Heavy food with heavy wine. This pairing is classic. Delicious. A mouth orgasm. A half glass can be yours with your next order of the sauteed foie gras for only $7.50.
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment